IONI Servo & Stepper Drive
|Device type||Servo & stepping motor drive|
|Model number||IONI-11K000, IONI-11K200|
|Supported motors||AC, DC, BLDC, Linear, Stepper|
|Control modes||Position, Velocity, Torque|
|Status||Active production, started 2015|
|DC supply voltage||5 - 54 VDC (except 5 - 58 VDC in IONI Pro HC)|
|Output current range||0.1 - 15A IONI, 0.1 - 18A IONI Pro, 0.1 - 25A IONI Pro HC|
|Setpoint signals||Pulse and direction, PWM, Analog, SimpleMotion V2|
|Feedback devices||Quadrature encoder, SinCos encoder|
|Web site||Granite Devices IONI|
|Compliance||CE (EMC & LVD directives)|
IONI is a digital motor drive designed for driving AC/BLDC and DC servo motors and steppers. IONI allows controlling motors in all three operating modes: position control, velocity control and torque control (torque mode only with servo motors). Applications of such control methods include
- Position control, such as CNC, robotics and 3D printing
- Velocity control, such as spindles or feeders
- Force / torque control, such as racing simulator wheel
Commands to IONI drive can be delivered in many formats and from many sources, such as PC, PLC, microcontroller (i.e. Arduino, MBED and OEM boards) or embedded computers like Raspberry Pi. IONI understands several forms of setpoint commands:
- Step & direction digital signals (typical stepper drive interface, good for position control)
- Analog +/-10V signal (good for speed or torque control)
- PWM signal (good for speed or torque control)
- RS485 serial bus (talks SimpleMotion V2 bus protocol, open source library available)
Supported motors[edit | edit source]
As motor is not included, make sure that you have, or obtain a motor that is compatible with IONI. Learn more about motor types.
Servo motor requirements[edit | edit source]
- Permanent magnet brush-DC, AC, brushless or linear motor
- Motor voltage rating 12-60 VDC (IONI supply voltage is 5 - 52 VDC)
- Motor current rating 0.1 - 25A (choose drive model accordingly, IONI Pro HC, maximum output is 25A, IONI Pro 18A, and IONI 15A)
- Servo motor must be equipped with an supported feedback device (position sensor / encoder).
See Motor compatibility guide for more details.
Stepping motor requirements[edit | edit source]
- Two-phase stepping motor with 0.5 - 15A current rating, no feedback device needed. Can be used in position and velocity control mode. Torque mode not possible. Stepper voltage rating is irrelevant, but generally lower voltage & higher current stepper is better.
Unsuitable/non-optimum motors[edit | edit source]
- Any non-permanent magnet motors: induction AC motor or DC motor with field coil - will not work
- Cheapest grade DC motor, such as one extracted from power drill - might not give satisfying performance
- Motor with very high voltage, such as 200 VAC AC servo motor - it will work if it has incremental encoder feedback, but maximum rotation speed is limited due to drive voltage. Consider Argon servo drive for motors above 100 volts rating.
Features[edit | edit source]
State of the Art[edit | edit source]
- High dynamic range torque control
- Wide range motor support, from DC, BLDC, AC and Linear, from 5 W to 500 W
- High functional density and cost efficiency
- 3-level PWM output with reduced motor heating
- Automatically measures motor inductance and resistance for easy setup
- Anticogging / torque ripple compensation
Control[edit | edit source]
- Input setpoint signals including pulse and direction, quadrature, analog and PWM
- Multidrop & multiaxis capable real-time SimpleMotion V2 field bus for setup & control
- Internal axis homing function with sensorless hard-stop operating mode
Protections & Ruggedness[edit | edit source]
- Safe torque off
- Prevent machine damage via I²t (motor temperature modeling), blocked motion and tracking error detection
- Industry leading ruggedness: over current, short circuit, over voltage, under voltage and over temperature protections, data/communication error detection
- Warranty 24 months
- Charge pump enable input for safety
Applications[edit | edit source]
- Industrial servo & stepping motor control
- Industry 4.0 systems
- Testing equipment
- Racing & flight simulators
- Pick'n'place machines
- Defense systems
Functionality and specifications[edit | edit source]
See main article IONI specifications.
Documentation & user guides[edit | edit source]
See the main article IONI & IONICUBE user guide.
Availability[edit | edit source]
Shipping worldwide at Granite Devices web shop.