Using BiSS encoder
BiSS Interface is an open standard used by many encoder feedback device manufacturers. IONI Pro servo drive supports BiSS encoders starting from firmware version 1.6.0.
BiSS support details
As BiSS is quite wide standard supporting large number of different setups and device types, it is important to acknowledge the properties BiSS interface in GD drives. In current firmware, following properties apply:
- Support BiSS B and BiSS C devices
- Read of multi-turn (MT) and single-turn (SD) data from encoder
- Single-turn resolution from 6 to 24 bits
- Multi-turn resolution from 0 to 16 bits
- The sum of ST+MT bits must be between 6 and 32 bits
- Error detection by the means of
- No response from encoder
- Bit transfer error occurred causing large position jump to trigger tracking error
Current firmware version limitations:
- No absolute encoder information is utilized, motor still needs to do Phasing a.k.a. phase search and Homing to get absolute operation.
- No data CRC verification. Suggested workaround is to apply sensible tracking error limits.
- No multidrop BiSS supported. Only one encoder may be connected.
- No cable delay compensation implemented. Encoder cable length should be less than 5 meters.
Wiring BiSS encoder
In no event the Product Information or parts hereof shall be regarded as guarantee of conditions or characteristics. The Product Information or any part thereof may also not be regarded as a warranty of any kind. No liability of any kind shall be assumed by Author with respect to Product Information or any use made by you thereof, nor shall Author indemnify you against or be liable for any third party claims with respect to such information or any use thereof.
As content of this Wiki may be edited by user community, Granite Devices Oy or it's affiliates do not take any responsibility of the contents of this Wiki. Use information at your own risk. However, Granite Devices staff attempts to review all changes made to this Wiki and keep information trustworthy.
Without written consent, Granite Devices' Products or Intellectual Property shall not be used in situations or installations where living beings, material property, or immaterial property could be harmed by the operation, features or failures of Product. Products may only be used in a way where hazards like moving parts, electric shock, laser radiation, or fire can't be realized even if the content of this Wiki would suggest otherwise.