Using BiSS encoder
BiSS support details
As BiSS is quite wide standard supporting large number of different setups and device types, it is important to acknowledge the properties BiSS interface in GD drives. In current firmware, following properties apply:
- Support BiSS B and BiSS C devices
- Read of multi-turn (MT) and single-turn (SD) data from encoder
- Single-turn resolution from 6 to 24 bits
- Multi-turn resolution from 0 to 16 bits
- The sum of ST+MT bits must be between 6 and 32 bits
- Error detection by the means of
- No response from encoder
- Bit transfer error occurred causing large position jump to trigger tracking error
Current firmware version limitations:
- No absolute encoder information is utilized, motor still needs to do Phasing a.k.a. phase search and Homing to get absolute operation.
- No data CRC verification. Suggested workaround is to apply sensible tracking error limits.
- No daisy chaining encoders is supported. Only one encoder may be connected to a drive.
- No cable delay compensation implemented. Less than 5 meter cable is recommended, however up to 10 meters have been tested with success.
Wiring BiSS encoder
BiSS encoder has low number of pins, mainly consisting:
- Power supply lines (2 wires)
- Clock input (2 wires)
- Data output (2 wires)
Connection to IONI Pro drive by following table:
|BiSS wire||IONI drive pin||IONICUBE D-Sub 15 pin number||Remarks|
|Cable shield||Connector shell|
|5V input||9||Pin 9 is 5V supply output from IONICUBE to encoder|
Refer to IONI & IONICUBE user guide for more info on wiring encoders.
To configure BiSS, use Granity version 1.11.0 or later. Configuration steps:
- Find out encoder MT and ST resolutions from encoder manufacturer's data sheet
- Select BiSS Encoder from Feedback deviceFBD
- Set number of MT and ST bits into parameters [FBST] and [FBMT]