Using BiSS encoder
BiSS support details
As BiSS is quite wide standard supporting large number of different setups and device types, it is important to acknowledge the properties BiSS interface in GD drives. In current firmware, following properties apply:
- Support BiSS B and BiSS C devices
- Read of multi-turn (MT) and single-turn (SD) data from encoder
- Single-turn resolution from 6 to 30 bits (however, higher than 30 bit resolution is still compatible, lowest bits are just ignored)
- Multi-turn resolution from 0 to 16 bits
- The sum of ST+MT bits must be between 6 and 32 bits
- Error detection by the means of
- No response from encoder. Drive sets timeout or loss of connection error if encoder does not respond with a "start bit" in 20 µs.
- Bit transfer error occurred causing large position jump to trigger tracking error
- Clock rate 5.1 MHz
Current firmware version limitations:
- No absolute encoder information is utilized, motor still needs to do Phasing a.k.a. phase search and Homing to get absolute operation.
- No data CRC verification. Suggested workaround is to apply sensible tracking error limits.
- No daisy chaining encoders is supported. Only one encoder may be connected to a drive.
- No cable delay compensation implemented. Less than 5 meter cable is recommended, however up to 10 meters have been tested with success.
List of tested BiSS encoders:
|RLS||Orbis BR10DCA14B12BD00||14 bits absolute (no multiturn data)||All OK|
|Hengstler||AD36/1219AF.0XBI0:5653||19 bits absolute encoder with 12 bits multi turn||All OK|
|Renishaw||RL32BAS001C30F||32 bits absolute encoder||All OK|
If you have tested another kind of encoder, please help us to inform the community by letting us know your encoder model and result by dropping a message into Granite Devices support.
Wiring BiSS encoder
BiSS encoder typically has 6 mandatory wires consisting:
- Power supply lines (2 wires)
- Clock input (2 wires)
- Data output (2 wires)
Connection to IONI Pro drive by following table:
|BiSS wire||IONI drive pin||IONICUBE D-Sub 15 pin number||Remarks|
|Cable shield||Connector shell|
|5V input||9||Pin 9 is 5V supply output from IONICUBE to encoder|
|Clock+ / MA+||GPI2||12|
|Clock- / MA-||GPI3||11|
|Data+ / SLO+||C+||15|
|Data- / SLO-||C-||14|
Refer to IONI & IONICUBE user guide for more info on wiring encoders.
|Cable termination resistors may be necessary for reliable operation, for more details, see Terminating differential encoder lines.|
To configure BiSS, use Granity version 1.11.0 or later. Configuration steps: