CNC with Granite Devices drives
CNC tooling machines (mills & lathes) are one of the largest target applications of Granite Devices servo drives. This page lists needed items and steps to realize a working CNC system. plementation of motor control. If
Needed items[edit | edit source]
Common items for all drives[edit | edit source]
- A CNC controller, such as Mach3 or LinuxCNC
- Wiring materials (calbing & connectors etc):
- To make connection between motors and drives
- To make wiring between controller and drive. This can be aided by various third party break-out-boards (BOBs).
Argon based system[edit | edit source]
With Argon a complete CNC consists:
- Argon servo drives, 1 pcs per axis
- Motor compatible with Argon, such as KANZ series servo motors or similar.
- Items that are needed to set-up and operate Argon drive
IONI based system[edit | edit source]
With IONI a complete CNC consists:
- IONI servo drives, 1 pcs per axis
- Motor compatible with IONI, such as BL series servo motors or any stepping motor.
- Items that are needed to set-up and operate IONI drive
VSD-E based system[edit | edit source]
With VSD-E and VSD-XE a complete CNC consists:
- VSD-E/XE drive
- If using brush-DC servo motors in DualDC mode of drive, one drive is needed per two servo motors
- If using AC/BLDC motors or brush-DC motors in single axis mode, one drive per servo motor is needed
- A compatible servo motor, see VSD-E/XE manual chapter 13 for details
- 12 VDC power supply for drive logic (low power)
- 12-160 VDC power supply for motor (high power). For sizing and implementation of this, see VSD-E/XE manual.
- One FTDI USB adapter is needed for configuration of any number of drives
VSD-E/XE does not include mating connectors for the drive. VSD-E/XE installation kit is available separately through Granite Devices web shop.