|This page contains official specifications of a Granite Devices product. For security reasons contents, this Wiki page is protected thus modifiable by Granite Devices staff only.|
IONI is available in three different models. See also IONI device model comparison.
- Standard model
- IONI Pro
- Advanced model, additional features and increased current range
- IONI Pro HC
- Same features as IONI Pro, except higher current and voltage range
|Servo/stepping motor drive|| Closed loop control of various types of servo motors by sinusoidal field oriented control with dead-time distortion correction and high dynamic range torque control.
See setpoint signal / reference inputs list
|Closed loop|| Cascaded control loops (PIV):
|Feed-forwards|| Feed-forwards working in velocity & position control modes:
|Homing|| Integrated homing function for position control mode:
|Feedback devices||See feedback devices list|
|Motor output current1||
|Compliance|| CE (LVD & EMC): EN IEC 62368-1:2018, IEC 61000-6-1:2005 and IEC 61000-6-3:2006.
SIL2: IEC 61800-5-2:2016-04
1) Currents achievable continuously only with with sufficient coolant air flow. Without forced cooling, typically 30-45% of the maximum range can be driven continuously. Despite of this, maximum current is available for short periods of time even without cooling. Current is automatically throttled on temperature rise to protect the drive.
|Dimensions||70.5 × 37 × 7.5 (W×H×D)||mm|
|Weight||14.0 ± 0.5||g|
|Drawings||2D (PDF), 3D (IGES & STEP)|
|Pinout||IONI connector pinout|
|Operating temperature||-10...+75, non condensing||°C|
|Storage temperature||-30...+90, non condensing||°C|
¹) Power dissipation is output current and input voltage related.
|Supply2||Input voltage||Input current typ||Input current max|
|Logic power||5 VDC +/- 10%4||0.1 - 0.3 A||0.2 A|
|Motor power||5 - 52 VDC3 (IONI, IONI Pro), 5 - 55 VDC 3 (IONI Pro HC)||0 - 23.5 A1||23.5 A1|
1) Estimating true current or power consumption based on this table may be difficult as current demand typically varies greatly and and almost completely depends on motor load conditions.
2) Both logic and motor supplies are required.
3) Possible to use from 5 VDC upwards, however short circuit protection feature is lost below 12 VDC.
4) IONICUBE motherboards provide on-board 5V regulator and accepts 24 VDC logic supply voltage. With IONICUBE no 5V supply is needed.
|Supported motors||AC, BLDC, DC, Linear||Permanent magnet motors only|
|Continuous output current||0-151 (IONI), 0-181 (IONI Pro), 0-251 (IONI Pro HC)||A (peak value of sine)||User settable limit|
|Peak output current||0-151 (IONI), 0-181 (IONI Pro), 0-251 (IONI Pro HC)||A (peak value of sine)||User settable current limit.|
|Maximum effective motor phase output voltage||
|Maximum modulation depth||95||%||Maximum effective output is 95% of HV DC bus voltage.|
|Torque control bandwidth (typ.)||1-3.3||kHz||Motor coil dependent|
|Torque control cycle time||50.0||µs|
|Position & velocity control cycle time||400||µs|
|Power conversion efficiency||93-97||%||Under typical conditions|
|Motor inductance range @ 48 VDC||0.2-25||mH|
|Motor inductance range @ 24 VDC||0.1-25||mH|
|Motor power range||0.01 - 0.5||kW|
|AC commutation frequency||0-400||Hz||Not capped, may achieve up to 2 kHz|
1) Maximum current is obtainable only for short periods without active air cooling. Drive automatically throttles current limit if drive temperature rises beyond 75 Celsius. Output current capacity reduces linearly between 75 and 90 degrees Celsius from the maximum to zero.
IONI has a dedicated 3.3V logic level output for regenerative resistor control. The logic signal can be externally fed to a switch component (such as MOSFET) to drive external regenerative resistor to prevent overvoltage during rapid motor decelerations.
Status of feedback device support
|Feedback device type||Status||Electrical interface|
|Quadrature incremental encoder||Standard feature||Differential 3-5.5V (RS422), Single ended 3-5.5V (CMOS,TTL,open collector)|
|Hall sensors||Standard feature||Single ended 3-5.5V (CMOS,TTL,open collector). Differential signals accepted.|
|Analog SinCos encoder||Standard feature in IONI Pro||1 V p-p signal, user selectable 16X, 64X or 256X resolution interpolation factor (note 1). Automatic signal gain and offset calibration.|
|Serial SSI absolute encoder||Standard feature in IONI Pro, see more info||RS422/RS485|
|Serial BiSS absolute encoder||Standard feature in IONI Pro, see more info||RS422/RS485|
1) The final resolution will be 4*line_count*interpolation_factor. I.e. with 1000 lines/electrical cycles per revolution SinCos encoder, the supported resolutions are 64000, 256000 and 1024000 counts per revolution. SinCos encoder can be also used without interpolation (4*line_count resolution).
Quadrature & SinCos encoder electrical properties
|Encoder count rate||
||MHz||After 4x decoding, digitally filtered|
|SinCos encoder input frequency||
||MHz||Max theoretical count rate at 256X interpolation becomes 1MHz*4*256 = 1024 MHz, however parameter Over speed faultFEV accepted value range might limit the achievable count rate to 75 MHz.|
|Supply voltage||4.8-5.2||V||Supplied externally (can share same voltage with drive logic supply)|
Setpoint signal / reference inputs
|Setpoint signal type||Status||Electrical interface|
|Pulse and direction||Standard feature||
Maximum step rate
Maximum quadrature frequency (count rate)
|Serial communication||Standard feature||SimpleMotion V2 real-time serial bus with open source SDK. Connect through RS485 or USB.|
|EtherCAT||Under development||Realized with add-on board, EtherFOX|
Inputs / outputs
List of I/O's
- Setpoint inputs
- Two digital channels (pulse/dir, quadrature or PWM)
- One +/-10V analog channel (differential, 2 wires)
- Digital inputs
- Switch inputs (3 channels): home switch, positive travel limit switch, negative travel limit switch
- Status control inputs (3 channels): enable, clear faults, STO
- Feedback inputs
- Quadrature encoder (3 channels differential, where 2 channels capable of 12 bit analog sampling)
- Hall sensors (3 channels)
- Digital outputs (3.3V logic level)
- Regenerative brake control output (external power switch needed, such as MOSFET)
- Holding brake control output (external power switch needed, such as MOSFET)
- Status indication outputs (3 channels): fault stop, servo ready, tracking error warning
- Serial comminication interfaces
- RS485 for SimpleMotion V2
- Digital inputs accept standard signal levels 2.7 - 5.5 VDC, except STO and Enable inputs accept 4 - 26 VDC.
- Digital outputs provide 3.3 VDC signal level
- Analog inputs accept +-/10 VDC (+/- 12 VDC max) referenced to GND
For detailed pin specific description and electrical ratings, see IONI connector pinout.
|Communication protocol||SimpleMotion V2|
|Supported high bit rates||1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5||MBPS|
|Maximum number of SMV2 devices chained in a single bus||32||pcs|
|Command throughput||Up to 20000||Commands/s|
|Safe torque off||
Reaction time from STO2 signal voltage going below 2 volts to de-energized motor is maximum 5 ms.
|Control error detection||
|Exceeding ratings may affect drive operation and cause instability or even damage the drive or other equipment. Damaged equipment may pose danger to users.|
|Specifications are subject to change without notice|